Navigating Vietnam: An Expat's Tale of Unexpected Guests


As I lie in bed, recounting my past, I'm taken back to the day I met my best friend, Ibtissam. The day we stood facing the beach, discussing my decision to embark on a new journey in Vietnam, shifting the course of my career and life. Her excitement matched mine, and she soon joined me in this adventure, just a month after my arrival in the vibrant Southeast Asian nation. This was a significant step for me, having already visited 8 countries before Vietnam.

Fate led us both to a newly established company, freshly resuming operations post-COVID. Ibtissam and I were their first foreign English teachers, stationed in the city of Nam Dinh, about an hour and a half away from Hanoi, the capital. A promising beginning, our boss, full of zeal, pledged commitment to the growth of the company, and I echoed that promise, fully dedicated to my role.

However, as life often unfolds, challenges emerged from an unexpected corner. A quirky blend of charisma, seriousness, and self-esteem, which my boss once mentioned was a departure from the usual compliance and obedience she observed in Filipinos and Asian staff. Working with a foreigner like me, who refused to conform to certain norms while remaining dedicated to the job's guidelines, seemed to intimidate some. Soon, rumors and lies shadowed my reputation, a barrage of criticism that felt absurd. The situation escalated as a change in management, marked by conflicts with an inexperienced manager who lacked basic management skills, brought misunderstandings and complications. With my promise still intact, I decided to focus on my work and steer clear of unnecessary conflicts.

What brings me immense pride is the synchronicity between me and my friend Ibtissam. Our voices united, even in the face of adversity.

One day, the center assigned us to work at partner schools far from the city. I reluctantly agreed, but when I realized the toll it took on my time and energy, I had to draw the line. I requested compensation for the additional travel, a reasonable request that was met with resistance. When they continued to resist paying for travel time, I made the difficult decision to stop working with their partner schools.

During those weeks, I did find a silver lining. I met two wonderful fellow Moroccans, Anas and Rachid, who were working with our company's partner. They became dear friends. We explored Ninh Binh together, celebrating Morocco's national team achievements in the World Cup, and we frequently gathered in our city of Nam Dinh. Together with my best friend Ibtissam, we created lasting memories that I'll always cherish.

Then, an uninvited guest disrupted my life. Cancer, a word that strikes fear into the bravest of hearts, knocked on my door. It started with excruciating spine pain. I sought medical help in Hanoi, but the situation escalated. My world shattered when doctors advised me to return to Morocco for treatment.

Back at work, I tried to ignore the gravity of my condition. One day, as I prepared to teach, I collapsed. My heart raced, I struggled to breathe, and my legs gave way. Ibtissam called for an ambulance, and that's when the truth hit me—it was more severe than I'd ever imagined.

Two weeks confined to a bed, waiting for my flight back home, were grueling.

Back in Morocco, my health deteriorated further. Urgent hospitalization and a critical spinal surgery followed, aiming to prevent paralysis. The procedure was agonizing, but it was successful. Alhamdulilah.

The storm didn't end there. The news that I had cancer was a heavy blow. The battle extended, with pain from surgery and the relentless spread of cancer throughout my body. The mystery of the disease's nature persisted, evading clear identification in my blood. In this sea of uncertainty, fear took residence.

Cancer feels like an ongoing war, leaving me battered on multiple fronts – physically, mentally, and financially. Amid the daily struggle and thoughts of surrender, my family's unwavering support and the generosity of my friends keep me going.

This is my story. If you're moved by my battle against cancer, please consider joining me. You can support my fight through my cancer campaign, explore my blog, or reach out to me directly.

With boundless love and gratitude,


Friends holding the Moroccan national flag, celebrating Morocco's World Cup victory.
Celebrating after beating Portugal in WC ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ†

Selfie of friends Anas, Rachid, and the author in Ninh Binh.
Rachid, Anas & me ๐Ÿ“ธ


The author surrounded by seven IELTS students in a classroom
One of my IELTS classes ๐Ÿ“š๐ŸŒŸ



The author surrounded by seven IELTS students in a classroom
One of my IELTS classes ๐Ÿ“š๐ŸŒŸ


Collage of three pictures featuring the author and his best friend on a bike and boat in Ninh Binh
With the best ๐Ÿ’œ


*Your thoughts and words mean a lot to me. Please take a moment to share your reflections or any similar experiences in the comments below. Your support and understanding are deeply appreciated.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Paralysis and Tough Decisions: My Cancer Journey Continues

A Painful Odyssey: My Battle Against the Unknown